Author: Claire Massie
We recently got a new car seat, after way too many hours of frustrating research, and I’m pretty sure we found the easiest-to-use car seat ever made. My initial plan was to find a car seat that would let us use the LATCH lower anchors for our 5 year old, 40-lb girl, because I thought that would be the most convenient and safe method. For those who aren’t familiar, LATCH stands for Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children, and it’s a set of metal anchors in your vehicle seats. You can attach your car seat to these anchors instead of using the vehicle seat belt to strap in the car seat.
The LATCH anchors are nice and convenient, but unfortunately most have a child weight limit substantially lower than today’s car seats. To make matters worse, it’s not very easy to find out what that limit is. Different vehicle and car seat manufacturers have different limits (or no published limits), and it can be confusing to figure out which limit applies to your combination of vehicle and car seat.
Here are the main things that I learned while researching my car seat:
- It is always safe to install a car seat using the vehicle seat belt, provided you follow both car seat and vehicle manuals and can get a secure fit. LATCH lower anchors don’t make the installation safer, just easier to get a good fit.
- If your child weighs 40 pounds or more, you need to check if you can still use LATCH lower anchors to install the car seat. This post at Car Seats for the Littles explains it all and has handy tables summarizing the limits for different vehicle and car seat manufacturers.
- The Britax Frontier 90 and Pinnacle 90 car seats have an innovative method of installation using the vehicle seat belt that I found to be even easier than LATCH. This 30-second video shows just how simple it is. (We did not receive any compensation for this post, I’m just excited about our new car seat and the innovation behind the product.)
- Don’t forget about the top tether when you’re installing a forward-facing car seat. There is some confusion about when to use it, so check your vehicle and car seat manuals.
- To ensure safety for your particular situation, you should have your car seat installation checked by a certified inspector (often free of charge). Here is a link to find one near you: http://www.nhtsa.gov/apps/cps/index.htm
I’m very happy with my Britax car seat purchase. I had no idea how easy they could make a vehicle seat belt installation. There is no kneeling on car seats or tugging at seat belts – it’s actually easier than installing a typical car seat with the LATCH lower anchors. They recognized all the confusion over these LATCH weight limits, and developed a seat that bypasses all of it by making it so simple and secure to install without LATCH. It’s a groundbreaking product with some great engineering.
It’s definitely a “must see”. After the dust settles, we’ll probably forward it over to the Academy to see if we can pick up an Oscar for cinematic excellence and cutest cast.
We’re offering an “EARLY BIRD SPECIAL” reward, where the first 100 people to pre-order a Sip & Spin Cup get 10% off. So basically you can get the best cup ever conceived, before anyone else has it, and for a lower price.
Kickstarter statistics show that a campaign with a strong opening is very likely to succeed. Please back us and share this post with friends, family, co-workers, etc. You’ll get the satisfaction of supporting a startup business, plus our eternal gratitude, which will last about as long as the cups – forever.
Thank you in advance,
Claire and the nuSpin Kids team
Hello loyal nuSpin Kids supporters,
We want to give you the first crack at our early bird special on Kickstarter – we will launch tomorrow! Be sure you are signed up for our newsletter and check your email first thing tomorrow to get the link to our Kickstarter page. The first 100 early birds to back our project get a 10% discount on the Sip & Spin Cup.
We are so excited to enter this new phase of our project. It’s a giant step toward the finished product. We really appreciate all the encouragement and support we’ve gotten from you already, and we’d love a bit more at this critical time. Please share our Facebook page and spread the word.
If you have any questions about the Kickstarter process or the cup in general, please comment here or send us a message.
Here we go!
We got some great feedback from our recent survey and are moving forward with a blue cup with trucks and a pink cup with new graphics, probably butterflies and flowers. We have names, too: the Sip & Spin Cup and Snappy Straw. Thank you for helping with these decisions, we love feedback, so feel free to keep it coming by commenting on this blog post or through the contact us page!
And if you haven’t heard, we’re just about a week from launching our Kickstarter campaign. We are trying to build up our newsletter subscriptions to get off to a great start on Kickstarter, so tell your friends to sign up, like us on Facebook, and run down the street shouting “nuSpinKids.com!”
Hope you all have a fun-filled Halloween!